Yesterday I finished knitting the sleeveless tank-top I started when I got home in February. It’s the first seamless project I have tried. I didn’t have a problem with the technique, but I do have a problem with the finished size. The pattern is based on chest circumference and I picked the size according to that. It fits me perfectly around the chest, but it seems that it’s expecting me to have some sort of mutant stomach to go with the chest.
If I had been less excited about starting to use my new circular needles I may have taken the time to calculate the size of the bottom of the top, but then again I might not. It never occurred to me that the pattern actually makes something that is 16 inches (40 cm) bigger around the bottom than it is in the chest. The picture looks O.K. but it is showing the smallest size which has less of a difference between the two measurements. The person wearing it isn’t shaped anything like me but people modeling clothes rarely are.
Maybe it’s supposed to flair out but it looks a bit more like I’m hiding something up my jumper. I’m thinking of either giving it seams and taking it in, which defeats the purpose of my seamless knitting, or knitting a belt to go with it. It’s not all a complete disaster. I have learnt a new technique and I now know that basing something like a jumper on one measurement isn’t going to work for me.