A couple of weeks ago Marty bought me a scanner. For a while now I’ve wanted to do something with the large collection of prints I have taken over the years. I never got round to putting these in albums and the damp air here is causing them to stick together.
I would like to have bought a negative scanner but I rarely use my 35mm camera anymore so this would have had a limited use. In the end I compromised and bought a flatbed scanner that can also scan some types of negatives.
One of the reasons I moved to digital was that it was becoming too hard to get film printed. Black and White film had to be posted away and some never came back. Others came back with prints composed of half one picture and half of another. Even colour films were ruined. All my Egyptian films came back too yellow with lots of scratches on the pictures. When I first saw them I was really worried that something had gone badly wrong with my camera but then I realised that these had been left to dry on something dirty. I found the Egyptian photographs today but the negatives wouldn’t scan. So far I haven’t been able to scan many of my negatives. The process is slow and seems to work less than 50% of the time. The negatives have to be completely flat and a lot of mine curve slightly. There are also problems depending on how the negatives have been cut by the processing company.
I did manage to scan a few pictures though and I’m glad that I now have some of these stored on my computer.